North Highland Square
Guilford, Parview, State St., Prospect
How would you introduce or describe your neighborhood to a stranger.
When and where are your neighborhood meetings?
WHAT ARE THE NEIGHBORHOOD’S GREATEST ASSETS:
- Surrounding assets.
- Coronado Theater, Arts Scene, bicycling, Halloween is a very big draw to the neighborhood, Discovery Children’s museum, Burpee museum, Spafford house,
- Swedish American Hospital, Lincoln Middle School, Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, Bethesda Covenant, Allen Chapel, Fire department # 10 Station, old Highland school.
- Highland square group , social events at Rural on Tap, Christmas Caroling, carriage rides at Night of the Luminaires. Able to bike the neighborhood, Alley clean up gatherings, Coffee on the Porch all by volunteers.
- Physical Attributes;
- Neighborhood street grid, the playground in Highland Park , Bicentennial bike path Sinnissippi Park , Calvin Park Boulevard , Anderson Gardens, Sinnissippi Golf Course, cross-country skiing, Architecture of the homes and the Architectural history of the neighborhood. Alleys are great walking spaces to see the beautiful gardens and landscaping in backyards.
- Local economy
- Poskas, Ditullio’s, State Street retail, Alley Walk, Schnucks grocery, Lydias Restaurant, Rural on Tap, shopping center Hair Salon, The Trove, Urban Farm Girl, Imperial Palace , the Oasis, cycling, Uncle nicks, Edgebrook shopping, Baker Street Burgers, Lucha Cantina.
- Arts and culture
- Alley Walk, Cider n Cinnamon event, Irish Marching Society, neighborhood plant sales by the neighbors, City Market, Stroll on State, Greek fest, Polish fest, riverfront.
- We felt welcome to the neighborhood, everyone watches out for one another.
- Love the friendliness, closeness of the houses, they know everyone and shopping is close by.
- Feel they are close to everything. 5 minutes to lots of things.
- Old houses.
- There is less crime now than when they moved in.
- Central location, the architecture is great, they like the closeness.
- The “Fence Food” That is ….your neighbor offering free food samples across the fence.
- Great Halloween event. They feel that they’re known as the Halloween neighborhood and like it.
- Love lots of flowers, gardens and trees that are in the neighborhood.
- Feels safe in the neighborhood. This is a good location to be in Rockford.
- Closeness to the bike path, City Market, love the sidewalks, love walking dogs.
- They have a wonderful group of neighbors that have become family. They feel like they’re in their own little village. Kids feel comfortable roaming the neighborhood.
- The architecture and big trees.
- Unique homes, convenience of the alleys, their support of neighbors.
- The walkability of the neighborhood. They love the locally owned businesses that are cool shops.
- Highland Park and also like the green space around the old highland school which could be better landscaped.
- Closeness to Sinnissippi Park.
- Christmas decorations of their neighbors, The exceptional Valentine decorations of the neighbors as well as Halloween decorations.
- Their proximity to downtown.
- Their first encounter to encourage them to move there, by expounding on all the great things the neighborhood offered, great neighbors, lots of stability, and friendliness of all. It sold them on the neighbor hood.